If you haven't seen RJBS' use.perl.org journal, he posted about some
of what he, jonasbn and I have been working on here in Oslo.

We came up with some good ideas for a general metabase for CPAN
distributions, which we think can become the back-end not just for
CPAN Testers 2.0 but for other tools as well that are all doing
essentially the same thing in collecting distributed information about
distributions.

However, we realized that it would probably be a lot of work, so we
wanted to start with something tangible that could be successful
quickly.  So we added 'HTTP' as a valid transport() option for
Test::Reporter and RJBS created Test::Reporter::HTTPGateway to be a
remote server that can gateway HTTP transport to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  We've done some limited testing and it appears
to be working well.  (More testing tomorrow.)

The documentation could still be improved -- but essentially, if you
install the latest dev releases of Test::Reporter (1.38_01) and
CPAN::Reporter (1.14_01), then you can use this config option in your
.cpanreporter/config.ini:

    transport=HTTP http://some.example.com/gateway/

and assuming you're running T::R::HTTPGateway at that URL it should work.

In the process, I wound up using some code that I had started working
on a couple months ago and never finished to support other transports
like Net::SMTP::TLS, so while that hasn't been tested yet (maybe
tomorrow), it's possible that Net::SMTP::TLS may actually be working
as well, or could be made to work with little additional effort.

That's the news from Oslo.

Regards,
David