On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 12:08:46PM +0300, Serguei Trouchelle wrote:
> David Golden wrote:
>
> >So I keep noticing "litter" in my home directory while running the
> >smoker.  It looks like either temp files or default locations for
> >things.  I consider that bad behavior for tests.
> >
> >I'm considering making my home directory read-only and then smoking
> >all of CPAN again to see what fails its tests.
> >
> >Do people think this would be useful or am I just getting overly
> >annoyed without good reason?
>
> When smoking MSWin32 perl, I have some files written to /, /tmp/, or
> even /userdata/smueller/ (and have to clean up all this stuff).

I used to get tons of this sort of thing. It was annoying when modules
would unwrap into the .cpanplus/build directory, as opposed to their
unquiely named build directory below that. Though I would say the home
directory would be easier to spot.

I can forgive /tmp somewhat, but again it doesn't always work on other
OSs, and assuming you're working on a Unix style system did make
distributions fail a few times when I was testing.

> So yes, it's a good idea.

Agreed. CPANTS checks for this in the unwrapping, but we currently don't
have any suggestions for the actual testing.

Cheers,
Barbie.
--
Birmingham Perl Mongers <http://birmingham.pm.org>