Mr. Cantrell,
thanks for the reply. the issue is that if it happens at all for the
smokers; it seems to happen more on windows than other platforms...
for instance Net::Server has been blocking since 2012.
for full details:
https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=81993#txn-1395516
---snip from my last RT comment + edits ---
If no skip is put in place; a smoker can not simply modify local code to
include, so exclusion is a remedy but I don't want to do that just yet...
Plus better to start a list of hanging tests and strange behavior than to
ignore it. (it would be nice to get a list of tests/modules that cause
hanging camels...)

I haven't gone so far as to schedule it to run in the background looking
for problematic on my smokers, but i may in the future.

from inside a ps1 script or inside a powershell:

Get-WmiObject Win32_Process -Filter "name = 'perl.exe'" | where
{$_.CommandLine -eq '"C:\strawberry\perl\bin\perl.exe" t/Server_PreFork.t'}
| ForEach-Object { Invoke-WmiMethod -Path $_.__Path –Name Terminate }
Get-WmiObject Win32_Process -Filter "name = 'perl.exe'" | where
{$_.CommandLine -eq '"C:\strawberry\perl\bin\perl.exe"
t/Server_PreForkSimple.t'} | ForEach-Object { Invoke-WmiMethod -Path
$_.__Path –Name Terminate }

this is sorta brute force, but it's quick and works without visually
expanding a process tree and having to discern details.

i'm not sure how to schedule these checks best on the smoker;  maybe a
module to hook into the smoking process and perform a task/run a command
every x minutes? idk.  anyways for now I've got a quicker resolution. a
solution would be appreciated.
-------
IMHO I think using an automatic timeout is problematic; though I would be
be happy to see something in the smoker to watch for and learn times
associated with test across platforms.
I suppose an automatic timeout that is set high enough takes care of many
issues; but a test could be long running.

cheers to an unstuck tester my polygot friends.
--dave
http://dave.thehorners.com/tech-talk/windows-os/356-powershell-net-control-and-automation

http://perlmonks.org/?node_id=1064341 see the hanging camel.