On Thu, Aug 07, 2014 at 08:29:41AM -0400, Dave Horner wrote:

> it seems to happen more on windows than other platforms...

Unfortunately I know exactly --><-- that much about Windows so can't
help with that - although I'm sure you could write a watchdog thingy in
perl if you don't have a decent shell available.

> I haven't gone so far as to schedule it to run in the background looking
> for problematic on my smokers, but i may in the future.

I suppose you'd be better off forking twice. Fork once from whatever
script controls your smoker *and wait for the child to terminate*. Then
in the child, fork off a grandchild to watch the child and kill it if
necessary. Of course, the child should, as the last thing it does before
exiting normally, kill the grandchild.

> I suppose an automatic timeout that is set high enough takes care of many
> issues; but a test could be long running.

An hour or so should do the trick. I can't think of anything off the top
of my head that takes that long to test, even if you include the time it
takes to fetch and test all its dependencies. And hardly anything needs
the timeout, so waiting that long shouldn't be a problem.

--
David Cantrell | Pope | First Church of the Symmetrical Internet

    Fashion label: n: a liferaft for personalities
    which lack intrinsic buoyancy