On Thu, 15 Apr 2010, Adam Kennedy wrote:

> I'm pretty sure that's true for all such systems, including things
> like .war files.
>
> Even if we split, say, Strawberry from ActivePerl, what if you have
> multiple installations of ActivePerl?

That's what I'm saying:

> On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 8:56 AM, Jan Dubois <j...@activestate.com> wrote:

Hmm, or what I'm going to say tomorrow, except I already said it today...

[Mixing top/bottom quoting with wild adjustments to local time makes for
 an interesting thread history. :) ]

> > One other issue that has been ignored so far is that neither the file
> > extension nor the protocol scheme will work particular well if you have
> > multiple Perl installations on your machine. You cannot direct the
> > automatic download/install to a particular instance.

The point being that all these "automatic" mechanisms break down for
even slightly more complex installations. Explicitly calling a CPAN
client/package manage doesn't have these problems.

Meaning: there is a limit to the usefulness of playing around with file
extensions (and protocol schemes).  Given that changing the file extensions
might create problems elsewhere it might simply not be worth it.

Cheers,
-Jan