On 12 June 2014 02:29, David Golden <x...@xdg.me> wrote:

> And the reason for the variable in the first place is that prompting
> can hang.  Avoiding hangs is a higher priority for me than avoiding
> failure.
>
> I'd be more interested in seeing a standard way to probe the
> capability rather than rely on testers to declare capabilities.
>
>     use Test::RequiresInternet;  # or skip_all
>
> Or, if particular hosts/ports need to be reachable:
>
>    use Test::RequiresInternet { "www.google.com" => 80 };
>
> David

Its not so much intended as a "Does the internet work", definitively
speaking.

But more "Has the user in question granted permission to use the internet".

As such, Test:RequiresInternet with specific hosts and ports would be an
orthogonal problem, a problem that could only be determined *after *permission
is granted.

That is, Test::RequiresInternet would require permission somehow to check
that google was accessible.

Granted one could bake support for that ENV flag into that module, and it
would be practical to do so.

But either way, we have to decide on *which* ENV flag to use, or *which*
competing method a user may declare "Yes, please use my internet" on their
box.

After that is decided we can then probe exploring *availability* of
resources, instead of simply being granted permission to *test* for
availability.

Yes, it would be nice to have these things, but I figured the ENV key would
be a better initial stepping stone to get out of the way. :)

--
Kent