On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 4:12 PM Jan-Peter Homann
<hom...@colormanagement.de> wrote:

> Hi to all,
> It was nice to attend LGM2019 my first time and talk to a lot of LGM
> Developers and Designers. :-))
>
> I want to dive deeper in GEGL and the OpenRaster Format concerning color and
> have some questions:
>
> 1) Current state of the OpenRaster specifications:
> I found following site about the OpenRaster Specifications
> 1a) https://www.openraster.org/
> 1b) https://freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/OpenRaster/
>
> They have very similar content, but 1a seems to be most up to date version.
> Is this correct?

Yes. There's also an abandoned attempt to get the freedesktop version
onto github, but the maintainer dissapeared.

> 2) Whats about Color in OpenRaster ?
> I didn´t found any description about supported Colorspaces and the handling
> of color profiles in the OpenRaster Spec.
> So which colorspaces are supported in OpenRaster:
> RGB
> RGBA
> Gray
> LAB
> 1-Bit (Black and White)
> CMYK
> Spotcolor Channels / Multichannel Images

RGBA(sRGB). The only raster type supported right now is PNG. There
were some talks about cs support, but the previous maintainer
dissapeared before anything could be done.

> Does OpenRaster supports embedded ICC profiles?
>
> 3) GEGL and Color
> Pippin, did I understood you at LGM correct, that GEGL is able to use
> different ICC-profiles for chunks/nodes in the GEGL tree ?
> If yes, is it correct, that OpenRaster would not be an appropriate file
> format for such cases?
> or, If yes, do you provide an extension the the OpenRaster format?
> If not, this was probably a missunderstanding from my side...
>
> If yes, the complexity of interactions between colormanagement and blending
> modes will increase massively. Photoshop still avoids this complexity by
> allowing only one profile per document. If any new image with a differnt
> colorspace (e.g. CMYK instead of RGB) or different profile (e.g. sRGB instead
> of AdobeRGB) will be added to an document, all image colors will concerted to
> actual document colorspace.

Krita too uses per-node color spaces. What is more a concern here is
that the main layer format is PNG, and while there has been discussion
about supporting other types, this was never implemented.

> Best regards
> Jan-Peter
>

> --
> Homann colormanagement    tel: +49 30 611 075 18
> Jan-Peter Homann          mob: +49 171 54 70 358
> Herzbergstr. 55           www.colormanagement.de
> 10365 Berlin    mailto:hom...@colormanagement.de

We've now put everything on OpenRaster.org, which is hosted on the KDE
websites. What we should probably do is ask KDE sysadmin if we can
have a project for OpenRaster on the KDE gitlab. That way we can maybe
start moving forward by using issues as discussion.

--
Wolthera