Hello CRM and LIDO experts,

I am working on the final draft of a comprehensive mapping of the ONIX for
Books 3.0.1 schema [1] to the LIDO schema [2] in the context of Linked Heritage
[3]. For more background on how and why, please refer to EDItEUR's first
deliverable in Linked Heritage (which also includes more on ONIX) [4]. The
expression of this mapping work is primarily XSLT using the MINT system [5]

Since the best practice in mapping standard data schemas [6] is to get firm
agreement or at least assent after clarification from both schema's designers /
maintainers, I'd like to ask you urgently for assistance in this effort,
especially any or all of these ways:

a)      Contributing authoritative (see above) examples of CIDOC-CRM and/or
LIDO data records or sets for bibliographic objects (i.e. books and library
catalogue records) (these will be used only for the purpose of understanding
the schemas and building the mapping);

b)      Assisting directly with the decisions on semantics, syntax and mapping
rules to translate ONIX structures into LIDO (I will supply any necessary
explanation of what the ONIX schema says based on EDItEUR's authoritative
expertise);

c)       Reviewing and criticising the draft mapping in detail from a CRM/LIDO
perspective once it is complete.

The CRM-LIDO mapping at http://www.cidoc-crm.org/crm_mappings.html I did not
find very helpful, as it is at a very high level of abstraction; I need some
help with both fairly broad semantic categories and some fine details of
semantics and (the limits of) expressive syntax (maybe I'm missing something,
so I'd be grateful to be shown where!).

Some of the mapping notes and action notes from the UNIMARC (at link above)
express the problems I have come across conceptually - e.g.

-          Mapping the "manifestation" class for a generic product as though it
were a unique ("representative") item (LIDO)

-          Future or planned events (CRM and LIDO - but is this helped by
FRBRoo?)

...and there are some new difficulties that I discovered:

-          "Inscriptions" as printed text on identical, mass-produced products?
(CRM and LIDO)

-          Structured text elements of names and titles (LIDO for sure; maybe
CRM?)

-          Contact details (LIDO for sure; maybe CRM?)

-          Allowed uses / terms and conditions - i.e. rights and licences (LIDO
for sure; maybe CRM?)

-          Almost everything to do with the relationships between, and relative
detail needed for an artwork or object as subject of a book vs. the book itself
as the artwork (LIDO).

Please feel free to either discuss this request on the list or, I suggest
without insisting, contact me directly to discuss the mappings in detail with
other interested experts.

Best wishes,

Michael

NOTES:

1.       http://www.editeur.org/93/Release-3.0-Downloads/

2.       www.lido-schema.org/<http://www.lido-schema.org/>

3.       http://www.linkedheritage.org/

4.       http://www.linkedheritage.org/getFile.php?id=283

5.       http://mint.image.ece.ntua.gr/redmine/projects/mint/wiki

6.
http://www.doi.org/VMF/documents/VocabularyMappingFrameworkIntroductionV1.0%28091212%29.pdf
 - see section 1.5 "Authorisation of mappings"

Michael Hopwood
Linked Heritage Project Lead
EDItEUR
United House, North  Road
London N7 9DP
UK

Tel: +44 20 7503 6418
Mob: +44 7811 591036
Skype: michael.hopwood.editeur
http://www.linkedheritage.org/
http://editeur.org/

It is intended for the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient,
please inform the sender and delete this e-mail immediately. The contents of
this e-mail must not be disclosed or copied without the sender's consent. We
cannot accept any responsibility for viruses, so please scan all attachments.
The statements and opinions expressed in this message are those of the author
and do not necessarily reflect those of the company.

EDItEUR Limited is a company limited by guarantee, registered in England no
2994705. Registered Office:
United House, North Road, London N7 9DP, United Kingdom