From a slightly more high level perspective I have the following observation
triggered by something that Martin put in his response but based on a number of
emails to the list over the last couple of years. Given the increase in the use
of and interest in the CRM I hope that it is useful.

Cultural Heritage data is multi-layered and highly variable. Curatorial,
multiple disciplinary perspectives and research requirements contribute to
these characteristics. The moment that we start to talk about, “there is no
standard way” or it would be “more economical”, alarm bells are raised. While
efficiency can be beneficial without being detrimental the desire of
technologists to standardise cultural heritage data is exactly the reason why
we need the CRM.

The CRM has been developed precisely to support the fact that you cannot make
sweeping assumptions across it and that representations must be based on expert
domain analysis rather than what might be easier for a programmer.  The
historic quest for standardisation by technologists is a significant factor in
explaining why many cross-organisational cultural heritage systems have been
unsuccessful (finally recognised by people who worked on these systems in the
1990s and resulting in the clear need for the CRM).

Humanities scholars are often disillusioned by computer information systems
because of the tendency to provide a one-dimensional approach prioritising
optimisation, performance and ultimately superficially over representing
knowledge as validly as possible. It is a mistake to think that cultural
heritage experts want these things in preference to this integrity.  In any
event it is easy to implement the CRM without compromise (through
collaboration) and produce highly usable and accessible systems. There is no
need to artificially standardise the CRM in a way that compromises its raison
d'etre.

Unless software starts to reflect the methods and understanding that underpin
the work of cultural heritage researchers and academics (this means that
computer system experts need to work with and collaborate with humanities
experts) then it is unlikely that computer systems will contribute
significantly or realise the promise that those involved in humanities
computing thought that they might many decades ago.

Dominic
Dominic Oldman
Deputy Head of Information Systems, IS Development Manager,
ResearchSpace Principal Investigator,
British Museum
Sent from Blackberry: 07980865309