From: Crm-sig [mailto:crm-sig-boun...@ics.forth.gr] On Behalf Of Robert
Sanderson
Sent: 04 January 2017 18:39
To: Richard Light <rich...@light.demon.co.uk>; crm-sig@ics.forth.gr
Subject: Re: [Crm-sig] 6.2.2's MonetaryAmount and Currency

Hi Richard,

I agree that the Currency should be constant unless the monetary system
changes, regardless of the changing value.  However that’s not what is implied
by Monetary_Amount being a subclass of Dimension, where the actual value is
independent of the approximation.  For the subclass to be valid, the features
of the parent class must be valid for the child class (All Persons are Actors,
and all of the features of Actor are valid for Person).  Ergo, the proposed
structure is invalid, or the scope notes for Dimension should be changed to say
that 6 inches is the face value, not the independent absolute value.

Regarding the URI discussion, the URI would not be the value of the
Monetary_Amount, just its identifier.
For example, if three artworks each sold for $100, the instance of
Monetary_Amount referenced from each Purchase can be the same instance.  In
short hand:

_:p1 a Purchase ;
  transferred_ownership_of _:object1 ;
  sale_price <uri-for-$100> .

_:p2 a Purchase ;
  transferred_ownership_of _:object2 ;
  sale_price <uri-for-$100> .

_:p3 a Purchase ;
  transferred_ownership_of _:object3 ;
  sale_price <uri-for-$100> .

<uri-for-$100> a MonetaryAmount ;
  value 100 ;
  currency <uri-for-dollars> .

And from your second email, I agree (per your point 3) that P181 is unnecessary
if a Monetary_Amount is a Dimension. And an equivalent case of pounds,
shillings and pence for your point 4 would be also important to take into
account for currency.  Both could be solved by allowing sub-values of a larger
whole:

_:total a Dimension ;
  consists_of [
      a Dimension ;
      value 3 ;
      unit <uri-for-feet> ], [
      a Dimension ;
      value 6 ;
      unit <uri-for-inches> ] .

The scopenotes for Dimension recommending intervals seem to be out of date – as
value is explicitly a number, it’s impossible to say 3.9-4.1 cm.  The approach
taken by timespan with begin_of_the_begin and end_of_the_end might be
appropriate to duplicate here, if recording the precision is important.

Rob

On 1/4/17, 12:23 AM, "Crm-sig on behalf of Richard Light"