Dear All,

In support of Robert:

Thomas Gruber in his paper foundational to ontology engineering "Toward Principles for the Design of Ontologies Used for Knowledge Sharing" Revision: August 23, 1993 discusses this issue. We follow in a way his arguments, adding however the problem of a reality with fuzzy dimensions and limited capabilities of observation. Since we want to compare values with respect to a common reality, the exact mathematical magnitude is irrelevant for our reasoning. I.e. , questions can be: Is this the same object?, Has this object changed? Would it fit into another one? The answer to these questions can only be given if the dimension is that of the object at some time, and the value an approximation.

The monetary value on the other side, represents the agreed-on obligation of the receiver to the giver, created by the acquisition of the object, regardless being paid or not. As such, it is different from any other monetary amount, being by incident 100$ as well. If we extend the model in the future assigning such properties to the monetary amount, which then acquires a history of its own, another interpretation is incompatible. The identity of the abstract amount of being 100$, has to my understanding no reasonable use beyond being just what has been encoded.

The question in ontology engineering is not what sense we can give, but what are the minimal senses we need to answer reasonable questions in the discourse we target at.

Best,

Martin