Dear All,

I'd also like to point you to a subtle distinction which is very important for us:

Mark correctly states:

"If you declare rdfs:label a subproperty of P1 you are changing in fact the definition of rdfs:label and the definition of E41. This means you simply change the data on nearly the whole world without even having a glance at a single dataset."

This is the mathematical, model-theoretic point of view about what a *definition* is.

In contrast, we commit to Nicola Guarinos formulation, that the logical declarations of a formal ontology are an approximation of a conceptualization (rather than being it), trying to minimize "unintended models".

Therefore, there exist textual *definitions* for all constructs of formal ontologies, in order to render the intended models. This is the ontological (philosophical, cognitive) point of view of what a definition is.

The CRM states for E41 Appellation:
"This class comprises signs, either meaningful or not, or arrangements of signs following a specific syntax, that are used or can be used to refer to and identify a specific instance of some class or category within a certain context."

 RDFS 1.1 states for rdfs:label:
"|rdfs:label| is an instance of |rdf:Property| that may be used to provide a human-readable version of a resource's name."

According to that, E41 constitutes a generalization of all *adequate uses* of rdfs:label, and indeed is intended to be so for all possible worlds. Methodologically, for CRM-SIG, the intended meaning has priority over preserving the formal definition in the sense Mark mentioned. This principle is also behind the formulation of the "conservative extension" in the CRM introduction.

Further, I want to express our particular gratitude to Mark Fichtner for creating the OWL implementations of the CRM and his careful semantic checking, which has been helping us a lot. When I mentioned automatic generation, I rather spoke about a utility making work easier, not a mechanism replacing manual scrutiny.

Finally, I would like to confirm, that no more constructs of this kind are intended, that it is not intended to introduce a new practice of this kind (please do not generalize and panick😂), and that indeed the rdfs:label problem and identifiers play an exceptional role in the ontology - schema transition.

All the best,

Martin

--
 Dr. Martin Doerr