I think the meaning of a library flooding is that the books get wet. We can model to a microscopic scale if the situation requires, but this is not necessary for this example I think. In the case of the wildfire, it could be both, i.e. both triggered and also part of it, but we cannot assume that the triggering event always completely contains the triggered event.

I would also propose a minor rewriting of Martin's paragraph:

"The distinction of a triggering event A from the triggered event B lies in their difference of nature. The starting of B is the result of an interaction of material constituents of A with material constituents of B. However, B does not necessarily continue the kinds of processes of A. Therefore the triggering event A must spatiotemporally overlap with the initial time and area of the triggered event B. Any subsequent phenomena must initiate from this area and time."

Is that an improvement at all? Or am I confusing things?

All the best,

Thanasis