Dear Martin,

I'm also interested in participating in this group.

Best regards,
Pavlos

On Sun, May 14, 2023 at 10:55 PM Dominic Oldman via Crm-sig <
crm-sig@ics.forth.gr> wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>
> I would like to be involved.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dominic
>

> On Sun, 14 May 2023 at 19:34, Martin Doerr <mar...@ics.forth.gr> wrote:
>
>> Dear Dominic, all,
>>
>> Yes, I will always defend that modeling is technology independent,
>> limited however to the degree that science and technology should at least
>> provide the prospect of implementation in the near future, and some viable
>> approximations immediately. We definitely started the CRM before the
>> technology was generally available but expected. The primary criterion is
>> that the model reflects our insight about the scientific discourse we
>> target at. As such, I see the model-level discussion to be between
>> reasoning about "proposition sets" versus a "single binary proposition".
>> The technical discussion should be about best and most effective
>> approximations, regardless popular or not. The effectiveness will depend on
>> use cases and platform requirements.
>>
>> Please let us know, who is interested in participating in a narrower
>> subgroup for creating  a document analyzing the alternatives.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Martin
>>
>> On 5/11/2023 8:01 PM, Dominic Oldman wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> Just a quick question on this. We develop the model independently of
>> technology. I can see that this discussion is getting technical. I
>> currently implement propositions sets using RDF named graphs because we can
>> and it works but it is not stipulated. Rob suggests that there are tech
>> upgrades that might suit this issue better. However, isn't it the case that
>> we need to be able to implement in different ways (I don't currently know
>> much about RDF*) depending on the systems we have? How is RDF* implemented?
>> - is it backwardly compatible with what we are all using? Do we give more
>> modelling credence to things that everyone uses? etc., etc. But aren't
>> these questions the reason why we are technology independent?  Given this,
>> my question is, - have we got to a stage when the modelling now depends on
>> a particular technology?  Can someone provide some clarification on this?
>> Which solution is tech independent? Are they all independent of this tech
>> discussion? One is at least.

>> On Thu, 11 May 2023 at 16:18, Martin Doerr via Crm-sig <
>> crm-sig@ics.forth.gr> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Robert,
>>>
>>> We have just created the new issue to discuss this in detail. We should
>>> prepare a detailed analysis, citing all pros and cons. May be we continue
>>> this discussion better in a subgroup?
>>>
>>> Named Graphs are not a very specific technology, if we take the fact
>>> that all current triple stores are actually implemented as quad stores,
>>> regardless whether they call the construct "Named Graph" or "context". We
>>> have used and implemented this feature, and it is very performant. It runs
> [...]

Pavlos Fafalios

Postdoctoral researcher
Centre for Cultural Informatics & Information Systems Laboratory
Institute of Computer Science - FORTH

Visiting Lecturer
Department of Management Science & Technology
Hellenic Mediterranean University

Web: http://users.ics.forth.gr/~fafalios/
Email: fafal...@ics.forth.gr
Address: N. Plastira 100, Vassilika Vouton, 70013 Heraklion, Greece
Tel: +30-2810-391619