> I'd be inclined to say that the quickest way to do that would be to have a
> deliberate compatibility break, not completely, but at least back to what is
> actually used.

I do agree with that. I think that fixing all the current bugs should be the
first priority, so that a solid 1.9 release can be achieved.
Note that after 1.9 could come 1.10, though :)

> (and maybe include some metaserver filter to stop servers older than this
> being included too).

If protocol compatibility is to get broken, it is probably better to change the
metaserver URL, so that versions 1.x and 2.x don't overlap.

> If this were to occur there would be an awful lot on the server side that
> could be dispensed with

> the map command and map1 commands (map1a could be used exclusively)

Probably a good time to get the "map2" command idea back on track.

> the item1 command (the C clients have long since used item2)
> spell conversion from the old spell system
> support for the old skill system.
> support for oldsocket mode (pippijn recently made a textmode parser
> using the modern packet structure, oldsocketmode is a hack that could be
> retired completely)
> doubtless there are more that I haven't thought of.

>Remove all that compatibility cruft first, and then, when the server is made
>leaner as a result, look at what, if anything needs simplifying.

Yes, I agree with that completely. Not having to deal with old piece of code
would make the work a little easier for sure.

> (note also, I would suggest taking the same approach with the C clients,
> which have a similar problem (though less acutely))

Probably, although I'd say that clients are lower-priority, as their code
complexity is somewhat lower.