The Austrian journal Telepolis today published a letter from
Janet Reno to the German Justice Minister urging a ban
of crypto products on the Internet. We've made a translation
of the report which includes Reno's letter:

   http://jya.com/reno-ban.htm

Here's an excerpt of Reno's letter:

"Much work remains to be done. In particular, I believe we must
soon address the risks posed by electronic distribution of
encryption software. Although the Wassenaar Nations have
now reached agreement to control the distribution of mass
market encryption software of certain cryptographic strength,
some Wassenaar Nations continue not to control encryption
software that is distributed over the Internet, either because
the software is in the "public domain" or because those
Nations do not control distribution of intangible items. While
I recognize that this issue is controversial, unless we address
this situation, use of the Internet to distribute encryption products
will render Wassenaar's controls immaterial."