I've been thinking about cryptographic signing of messages at the mail
transfer agent level.  I can think of how to do it, but I'm not sure
what problem it solves.  :)  Anyone have any ideas?

[I remember that someone in Australia built some experimental patches
to do this for sendmail some time back. RFC2487 proposes a more
standard way to do this, using TLS for the encryption. One may argue
that the mechanism ultimately does not protect end to end message
integrity, but it most certainly *does* monkeywrench vacuum-cleaner
style mass tapping, and as such is possibly a very good thing even if
it provides no authentication at all...

It would be nice to open some discussion of this. --Perry]

--
-russ nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  http://russnelson.com