Greg Rose writes:
 > At 22:09 21/08/1999 -0400, Russell Nelson wrote:
 > >I've been thinking about cryptographic signing of messages at the mail
 > >transfer agent level.  I can think of how to do it, but I'm not sure
 > >what problem it solves.  :)  Anyone have any ideas?
 >
 > Signing messages at the MTA level solves no problem at all unless there's a
 > widely deployed PKI.

Because of man in the middle attacks?  You could supply a public key
in the SMTP server banner, but that doesn't help if someone is fudging
things in the middle.  Encryption would help, though, wouldn't it?  Of
course, you've got a nasty bit of known plaintext right at the
beginning: "Received:"

Actually, if your sole threat model is "telnet mail.example.com 25",
then *any* kind of crypto helps.  :)  And if I go down in history for
any quote at all, it should be: "Crypto without a threat model is like
cookies without milk."

--
-russ nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  http://russnelson.com