At 10:35 AM -0400 on 10/20/99, Arnold Reinhold wrote:

> No. The complexity of international distribution agreements and
>general stupidity are much bigger factors than cash settlement
>costs. Two of my books are translated into Spanish. The US is the
>second largest Spanish speaking market in the world. Can I get the
>Spanish editions distributed here? No way!

Fortunately, (the now-)Dr. Brands holds his copyrights, and the book
was, apparently, only printed, not published. :-).

So, if there were a form of bearer microcash settlement, he could
sell the book over the web on a pay-per-pageview basis if he wanted
to. I'm sure there are several once and future cypherpunks who, by
then, would be in the <whatever>-to-guilder currency exchange
business and would happily oblige.

What this does to the publishing business is, in the above example,
not particularly Dr. Brands' problem. :-).

Cheers,
RAH

Robert A. Hettinga <mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]>
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA