At 03:20 PM 1/25/00 -0500, Russell Nelson wrote:

>I'm trying to do forward stego -- that is, publish some encrypted
>steganographic document, with the idea that, once everyone has a copy,
>*then* you reveal the key.

Fascinating, captain.  Canna imagine why.

>  Problem is, how do you convince them to
>keep a copy of that document if they're unaware that it has something
>buried inside it??

Now you're into psychology.  (Not necessarily a cryptodigression:
consider how the business model for an Eternity system is
critical for handling various attacks/spammages)

>Maybe I should have buried it inside a pornographic picture?  :)

Primates are easy to manipulate sometimes.

What docs *do* you retain?  Controversial ones you think
might be pulled, sure.  Aesthetic ones (incl. erotica)
if you think you might look at it again.   (This might
include personal, objectively boring pictures.)  Informative
ones, if you think you might refer to them again.

Look at the subjective-merits that factor in.  Expectation
of future value; subjective current value.  Ick.

You'd best have a varied selection of content (e.g., images
by all genres of artists; music by all genres; etc.) rather
than shoot for a single "hit" bitstring.  All the content
would be stego'd, but diff't people download diff't
covertext.

How long do you need people to retain the content, btw?

Perhaps once you revealed the secret message "if you play
it backwards" the Saturation will increase.

dh
board-certified cat rancher