"James A. Donald" <jam...@echeque.com> writes:

>Crypto algorithms have standard reference implementations, which are to a
>greater or lesser extent copied wholesale. Any deviation from the usual is apt
>to be noticeable.

That would require that you compare the code for algorithm X in project Y to
the originaly copy held who knows where, taking into account that the version
used in project Y may be several versions out of date from the reference one
(and by several versions I mean "ten years or more" in some cases), and that
it'll have been hacked over by who knows how many others for portability and
performance reasons.  There'll be no way to tell whether any of the dozens of
tweaks and changes are a backdoor or not.  How would you tell whether
something like a cast "( uint32_t ) /* For Solaris 9 with the SunPro 4.2
compiler */" is be a portability fix or a backdoor?  If I wanted to backdoor
something, I'd go for private-key leakage in DLP PKCs, which are notoriously
bad in terms of leaking key bits if you even look at them funny.  It's hard
enough just to get those right with the best of intentions, let alone if
you're deliberately trying to hide a key leak.

To put it more succinctly, and to paraphrase Richelieu, give me six lines of
code written by the hand of the most honest of coders and I'll find something
in there to backdoor.

Peter.