On Dec 17, 2010, at 12:34 39PM, Jon Callas wrote:

> Let's get back to the matter at hand.
>
> I believe that there's another principle, which is that he who proposes,
> disposes. I'll repeat -- it's up to the person who says there was/is a back
> door to find it.
>
> Searching the history for stupid-ass bugs is carrying their paranoid water.
> *Finding* a bug is not only carrying their water, but accusing someone of
> being underhanded. The difference between a stupid bug and a back door is
> intent. By calling a bug a back door, or considering it, we're also accusing
> that coder of being underhanded. You're doing precisely what the person
> throwing the paranoia wants. You're sowing fear and paranoia.
>
> Of course there are stupid bugs in the IPsec code. There's stupid bugs in
> every large system. It is difficult to assign intent to bugs, though, as that
> ends up being a discussion of the person.

Yes -- see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Jesus_Angleton#The_Molehunt for
where that sort of thing can lead.

Many years ago, I learned that someone working on a major project had just been
arrested for hacking.  Did he leave any surprised behind in our code?  I put
together a team to do an audit.  We found one clear security hole -- but the
commit logs showed who was responsible, and a conversation with her showed that
it was an innocent mistake (and not something our suspect had
socially-engineered into the code base).  Then I found something much more
ambiguous -- two separate bugs, which -- when combined with a common but
non-standard configuration -- added up to a security hole.  In one of the bugs,
the code didn't agree with the comments, but there was a very plausible
innocent explanation.  And yes, the suspect was responsible for that section of
the code.  Deliberate?  Accidental?  To this day, I don't know; all I know for
sure is that we found and closed two security holes, one very subtle.  Today is
Dec 17, an odd-numbered day, so I think it was an ordinary bug.  Tomorrow,
 I may feel differently.