Hi,

> You know this is why you should use ssh-keys and disable password
> authentication.  First thing I do when someone gives me an ssh account.

Using keys to authenticate is what I usally do, too. But even if a user
decides not to use plain password auth, switching off password-based
access globally for all users is unfeasible in many settings.

Say you've got a multi-user machine (a cluster, even). If your typical
user is not a geek, but a scientist - telling them they need to create a
key, send it to you to add to authorized-keys etc. is going to result in
much extra work (for you) and frustration (for users). I have seen
biologists who have done DNA string comparison with notepad.exe. You
need good nerves to support them.

There are other scenarios where pure-key auth fails, too - e.g. large
testbeds like PlanetLab are bound to re-install their machines every now
and then, and user homes can be lost in the process. OK, host keys won't
help much here, anyway.

I think using keys is super and increases protection a good deal, but it
can't really solve all problems mentioned above. Plus, one compromised
user account is enough for an attacker to try and increase his privileges.

Ralph