On Feb 25, 2012, at 6:35 PM, James A. Donald wrote:

> Jon Callas<j...@callas.org>  writes:
> > > I've spoken to law enforcement and border control people
> > > in a country that is not the US, who told me that yeah,
> > > they know all about TrueCrypt and their assumption is that
> > > *everyone* who has TrueCrypt has a hidden volume and if
> > > they find TrueCrypt they just get straight to getting the
> > > second password. They said, "We know about that trick, and
> > > we're not stupid."
>
> They may assume that - but they cannot prove it.

You're assuming that they operate with the same security model that you do.

Your security model presupposes US law, to start with. I can see that in the
glib comment asking if I'd ever heard of "innocent until proven guilty" --
which is a US principle. It is one that I not only have heard of, but think is
is pretty darn good idea, too!

Nonetheless, it does not exist everywhere in the world, and I said this was not
the US. In fact the very reason I said it wasn't the US was because I wanted to
point out that objections to the story based upon US law are irrelevant.
Moreover, innocent until proven guilty is interpreted differently depending on
what sort of case there is. The term *proven* is context-dependent. There are
different ways they prove, different burdens of proof. "Beyond reasonable
doubt" and "clear and convincing evidence" are two used in criminal cases in
the US. "Preponderance of evidence" is usually used in civil cases.

None of these are "plausible deniability." As I said before, this is a term of
spycraft and statecraft. Usually it's used to describe how a powerful entity
like a nation state can defend itself against attacks by less-powerful
entities. There are forms of torture that are popular because they leave no
marks on the victim and therefore give the state plausible deniability.
Bureaucracies also use this technique to spread blame or leave the blame with
some other person.

In a number of cases involving spectacularly failed companies, the CEO has
tried to stick someone else with the blame through plausible denial. Or perhaps
the family and associates of a fraudster use a form of plausible denial to
avoid conviction or trial. (I am not saying that using plausible means you're
guilty -- it only means you don't have a better defense.) It works sometimes
and doesn't work others. It didn't work for Bernie Ebbers, for example.
Plausible denial combined with a lack of evidence works really well, but it's
not a legal principle at all.

Most people who use the term "plausible denial," particularly us crypto people,
would be better served to say "reasonable doubt." It's a better marketing term
at the very least.

But anyway, back to deniable encryption and what is a language-theoretic issue.

If your security model includes technical issues and policy issues, but your
attacker has different policies, then your security might fail for
language-theoretic reasons.

To a border control person (and that's who I was talking about), Truecrypt is
the same thing as a suitcase with a false bottom. Technically, we'd say that it
is a container that (assuming it works correctly) *might* have a secret
compartment and that one that does have secret compartment is
information-theoretcially indistinguishable from one that has a secret
compartment. But if you read the previous sentence to a border control person,
they might hear, "...it is a container ... that ... has a secret compartment."

The difference is policy, not technical. If their security model includes the
policy that there's no reason to have a suitcase with a false bottom except to
put something in it, then how you make a denial becomes everything.

If your denial is "don't be ridiculous, I *know* you guys can spot hidden
volumes and that's why I'd never use one -- I use it because I'm cheap" then
you're doing well. If your denial is, "you can't prove there's a hidden volume
there" then you're not doing so well.

My point is that there are security models out there that know about hidden
volumes and have their own defenses against them. I used the word "defenses"
intentionally. They are border control people. Their model considers a hidden
volume to be an attack, not a defense. They have developed their own defenses
against smuggling that take hidden volumes into account.

> Evidently in the case of
> http://www.ca11.uscourts.gov/opinions/ops/201112268.pdf They
> were totally unable to get information out of John Doe
>
> For the entire case turned on the fact that John Doe never
> admitted the existence of the hidden drive, and forensics were
> entirely unable to prove the existence of the hidden drive.
>
> Customs may have the authority to search through your stuff,
> but if they cannot find what they are looking for, they have
> no authority to make you tell them that it exists and where
> it is.
>
> But if you *do* tell them that it exists, then they can make
> you tell them where it is.

Absolutely. This is a good thing, too. Please don't think that I am defending
what they do. I think people should have full legal protections at border
crossings. I think that the erosion of fourth and fifth amendment rights is
deplorable.

But again, you're assuming US law, and you're ignoring administrative actions.

They can seize your laptop and there's not a lot you can do. It's a loss,
you'll never get it back, particularly if it's not your country. They can flag
you for a full search on every crossing, too.

Ironically, one of the best defenses you'd have (particularly as a US citizen
coming into the US) would be to say something like, "Of course there's a hidden
volume there. I'll tell you what's in it -- there's the personal records for my
customers, and if I open that up for you, I have to notify every one of them
under forty-some state laws. There's millions of them there, and I can't afford
to do that. That's why I'm using Truecrypt -- I have to have that data with me,
and I don't trust other countries from stealing my data. If you have to keep my
laptop until my lawyer calls, it will suck, but I understand. But can you cut
me some slack this time? I wrote a bunch of emails and memos while I was on the
plane and they aren't backed up."

Note that this is also a form of plausible denial, but the plausible denial has
nothing to do with the crypto.

        Jon