On Mon, 2 Apr 2012, lodewijk andr? de la porte wrote:
> I'd even take it a step further, remove
> all cybercrime laws. Crazy? Maybe. But I'd really love the Internet to turn
> back to the wild west it once was. Sure people will get robbed and it'll
> act as a catalyst to horrible people. But it'll always enable everyone at
> least as much as the horrible people. Subsequently the people can safeguard
> the others. We could, by necessity, create *actually secure* systems.

The problem with this scenario is that it very quickly degenerates into
rule-by-spammers-and-the-Russian-Mafia.  As Henry Spencer put it in a
classic usenet posting from July 2000,

# When there is no law and an abundance of armed
# individuals, the fast gun is king, especially if he's a psychopath who
# can't imagine his own death.  That means you do what he tells you, swallow
# his insults, and step off into the mud when he wants to use the sidewalk.
#
# Actually, no, I have to retract that.  The real king is the gang lord,
# because when there is no social structure to provide safety, people do not
# exist as polite independent individuals in an environment of mutual
# respect -- they *make* a social structure to provide safety.  The trouble
# is, when they're driven to do that, trivia like freedom, due process of
# law, etc. tend to get second priority.  The gang lord (ranch owner, mine
# boss, whatever) can do whatever he wants, and his lieutenants and gunmen
# have almost as much freedom, but his lesser retainers are almost slaves,
# and anyone he dislikes is likely to end up dead.  For example, if he's a
# free-range rancher, independent sheep farmers who try to fence in the open
# range tend to end up dead in a ditch for the crime of putting up fences on
# their own land.  (This happened quite a bit in western frontier America.)

To return to something vaguely relevent to this mailing list, substitute
"use good crypto" or "try to run a RBL listing major spammers" for "fence
in the open range" in that last passage. :)

Larry Niven's short story "Cloak of Anarchy"
(http://www.larryniven.net/stories/cloak_of_anarchy.shtml)
also seems relevant here.

--
-- "Jonathan Thornburg [remove -animal to reply]"
<jth...@astro.indiana-zebra.edu>