Apologies in advance ;) but a cryptography question:

I'm coding (or have coded) a digital signature class in RSA. In my research on how to frame the input to the RSA private key operation, I was told words to effect "just use OAEP and you're done and dusted." Which was convenient as that was already available/coded.

However I haven't seen any other code doing this - it is mostly PKCS1, etc, and RFC3447 doesn't enlighten in this direction.

Could OAEP be considered reasonable for signatures? or is this a case of totally inappropriate? Or somewhere in between?

iang