James Muir wrote:
PSS is similar to OAEP, but is for signatures.  If you have OAEP
implemented, then it wouldn't take you long to do PSS, which is
described in the PKCS-1v2.1 document.

This is the answer I suspected in reading the original post question.

Hacking OAEP into a signature scheme sounds a little dangerous.
However, I guess the idea would idea would just be to hash your message
and "encrypt" the hash with the private exponent.  You want your
signature scheme to be existentially unforgeable.  If could forge one of
these signatures, then I not certain what that says about the security
of OAEP encryption (maybe nothing since anyone can create validate OAEP
ciphertexts).

I guess the original poster did not expect to create a new/modified signature scheme, but "just" implement a recognized one.

Full-domain-hash RSA is quite easy to implement.  If you don't like PSS,
then you could look at it.

Oh great ... I thought I was the only one to have taken note of full-domain-hash.

My understanding is that full-domain-hash remains a useful academic contribution to the formal proofs of PK cryptosystems. It is also antagonistic to the push towards ECC signatures. Certainly NIST is not interested since this organization pushes for ECC technology development and adoption. At least I did not see any reference to an "FDH mode" for secure hash competition candidates.

In practice, full-domain-hash has a serious performance penalty if one takes the implementation suggestion from [1]. You would do me a favor in providing references to practical implementation strategies.

[1] Mihir Bellare, Phillip Rogaway: The Exact Security of Digital Signatures - How to Sign with RSA and Rabin. EUROCRYPT 1996: pp399–416
http://www.cs.ucdavis.edu/~rogaway/papers/exact.pdf

-James