On May 18, 2013, at 6:49 AM, Adam Back <a...@cypherspace.org> wrote:

> On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 04:52:07AM -0400, bpmcontrol wrote:
>> On 05/17/2013 04:19 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
>>> It is unreasonable for an closed source product by a commercial
>>> vendor to go any other way [putting backdoors in security products]
>> Makes perfect sense. as its sometimes required by law,
>> other times required to keep the users safe or companies away from legal
>> harm.
>
> Well that seems like a bold and controversial claim to me, maybe with its
> own liability and legal implications!
>
> Would you expect microsoft IIS web server to contain an SSL backdoor?  Or
> microsoft VPN client?  Or cisco?  A lot of businesses and individuals are
> relying on these things to do what is advertised.  Not doing what is
> advertised can itself get companies in trouble, in many jurisdictions.
> Skype has/had as a differentiator that it was end2end encrypted, it is my
> impression that a number of people used it for that purpose.
> Adam

there are numerous other IM systems that are server centric and do a lot of
work
to look for and filter "bad" urls sent in the message stream.

this is intended to be for the benefit of the users in filtering spam,
phishing, malware links,
particularly those that spread virally through buddy lists of taken over
accounts.
sometimes these links (when believed to be malicious) are simply (and silently)
not
forwarded to the receiving user.

this involves databases of link and site reputation, testing of new links,
velocity and
acceleration measurements, etc.    the usual spam filtering technology.

my impression is that almost all users thank us for doing that job of keeping
them safe.
they understand that IM is yet another channel for transmitting spam.

the url filtering is aggressive enough (and unreliable enough) in some cases
that
you have to check with your counterparty in conversation if they got that link
you
just sent.  so users are aware of it, if only as an annoyance.  (once again,
spam filtering
gets in the way of productive communication)

i am merely telling you how it is.  obviously user expectations differ on AIM,
Yahoo Messenger,
etc. from those of users on Skype, some of whom believe there is magic fairy
dust sprinkled on it, and that
it is easier to use than something else with OTR as a plugin.

i would give microsoft the benefit of the doubt.

however, as a company with operations in numerous countries, and subject to
pressures from
numerous governments, it would help a lot if microsoft were more transparent
about what
jurisdictions have access to what traffic (in real time or retained), how keys
are managed,
and the differences between clients and client versions, rather than continuing
simply publish tom berson's valiant and completely outdated review of (i
believe) a no longer
supported client.

it may in fact be true that a human rights worker using the intl skype client
and in the middle east
is safer from their govt's intrusions than someone who is a POI to US LE.

(but the chinese human rights worker who made the bad choice to use the Tom
client which speaks their language
seems to have about as much safety as carrying a big sign on Tianenmen Square).