James A. Donald:

>>> No one on my buddy list has been taken over, or if they have, they
>>> took care of it before I noticed.
>
> On 2013-05-21 10:55 AM, Jacob Appelbaum wrote:
>
>> That is - how would they notice and if they were being logged, how would
>> *you* notice on your end?
>
> I would notice, because they would spam me, this being the primary
> income source and reproductive method for botnets.

You're not distinguishing between the classes of attacker that exist
here; they are not all the same. Police malware only spreads, for
example, when it needs coverage. It makes sense for such activity to
target friends of a target when the target's computer is harder to
compromise.

Also, the bugs/exploits I've heard/seen/read about about in Skype do not
all have UX indications that you've even received a message.

All the best,
Jacob