I think compromising microcode update signing keys would be the easiest
path. Then you don't need backdoors baked in the hardware, don't need
Intel's buy-in, and can target specific systems without impacting the
public at large.

This is a pretty interesting analysis showing that these updates are
2048-bit RSA signed blobs:
http://inertiawar.com/microcode/