>> Prior to subsequent logins, the user also predefines the sequence or
> pattern criteria for selecting the objects positioned on the GUI, and
> sequentially inputting the text associated with each. By employing this
> pattern, and visually determining the objects, a number of which
> sequentially correspond to the user-known pattern displayed on the GUI, an
> authentication password is determined. The password is input by the user
> typing the corresponding dynamic word string defined by the users
> pre-defined words which are associated with the viewed objects in that
> particular sequence.
>
> From I can surmise the user assigns a password with a picture, so when the
> picture shows up, the user inputs the password.

  I couldn't figure out how their system works just from attempting to
login to the demo as "test", but this sounds quite a bit like my
favorite password system, which I encountered doing a CUPS Lab study on
mechanical turk about four years ago.  I've never seen any mention of it
since (and have looked a few times) so it may have turned out to not
work well with users and they dropped it right away, but it worked like
this: the system displays a grid of numbers where the numbers in each
position are randomized and the thing you remember is the pattern but
the thing you type is the numbers.

  There is a tradeoff between how large the grid is and how many grids
with different patterns you need to remember.  It is fairly complicated
in a way (you might need several grids depending on the size and length
of sequence), but used like I describe it means you can't recover the
password just from what the user types but would need to observe the
display.  It could also allow an easy multi-input-mode password system,
although touching or clicking the pattern might allow an audio recording
to determine the pass-pattern (there I guess you would ideally want the
opposite: remember a sequence of pictures or such and tap the
locations).

  It looks like the nimbusid system isn't that close currently, but some
of the pictures in the patent are quite a bit closer so it must be
something along those lines.

  IMO, the real tragedy of passwords is that the average personal computer
user is ever asked to remember more than two of them (a main one for
almost everything and a second one for the most important things) and is
allowed to choose them.  For regular web usage, browsers should just
generate passwords (or certificates) for the user and save them, no user
interaction needed other than some way to indicate a "most important
things" site.  Provide a way for the user to access the password to
write it down if they really need to use a friend's computer or internet
cafe or whatever.  Similarly, operating systems should allow access to
multiple user accounts with one password entry (which also counts as the
main password entry to access most stored web passwords) to make it
easier to use the only effective privilege separation mechanism they
provide.  The same two passwords should also cover disk encryption, the
main one for standard user or whole disk encryption and the second for
less frequently used encryption.

  21 base64 characters (three groups of seven) is 126 bits of entropy if
randomly generated and doesn't even take that long to memorize if you
copy it from a piece of paper for a while.  Or just always refer to the
paper.  Current password usage encourages lots of weak passwords when
what we should be aiming for is one or two strong passwords.

-M