CSGO's penetration system was just updated and is now riddled with bugs.
They just patched nodraw and displacements affecting penetration in odd
ways so I imagine a fix for fences and metal are very near, perhaps next
week.

For the fence I always make it non-solid with a player clip, that way no
bullet penetration happens.