I'm not sure how talking privately to some company about ads will fix the issue that are ads. I realize this is a response to suit your company best, a purely official phrase in order to save face of your company here. I know that there is no point in talking to you directly, but there is no reason why I should not bring up what I believe is the unfortunate truth. I brought valid points and concerns about how communities are run and in order to save face you try to defame anyone who has valid critique.

I'd really love for Valve to extend the policy of truth further in light of recent changes, and either require ad-running servers to be properly tagged in the server browser, or blacklisted.

On 14.12.2015 14:46, Patrick W wrote:

Thanks for your input, I will take the debate on this no further, please do not expect any more replies or input from me on the nature of advertising, as that is not what this topic is intended for – regardless of your next response.

I do not appreciate the political trolling at a detriment to all those who want to fix the webkit for other purposes too, contact me privately if you want to discuss advertising.

Thank you

*From:*csgo_servers-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com [mailto:csgo_servers-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com] *On Behalf Of *Matthias "InstantMuffin" Kollek
*Sent:* 14 December 2015 13:42
*To:* csgo_servers@list.valvesoftware.com
*Subject:* Re: [Csgo_servers] Latest steam update broke the webkit in-game

It's kind of shady that people went forth asking for the MOTDs to be fixed, and listed a lot of use cases except for ads (which they are all using MOTDs for). I get that you're trying to promote and save your company here, but what you're saying is still bullshit. These player-abusing communities shouldn't be online in the first place. I have yet to find a single decent server (no p2w, no pseudo-donations, not being hosted by actual, clueless kids) that does run ads. You are part and reason for the change that underwent in financing communities. From either a bunch of friends that love to play the game who throw together the money, or communities that create and manage their own creative, sophisticated and unique content (and could therefore rely on actual donations), to teenagers that need to rent as many cheap and slow VPSs as possible to run as many servers with ads as possible (and other thrown-together things like p2w-systems and weapon skins), trying to force the young target group of players to hop on and indulge your horrors.

5-10 years ago it was not normal to:
-Get unfair advantages on community servers for money
-Get market item usage rights on community servers for money
-Have an ad played per round (an [expletive] loud one at that)
-Be forced to enable dynamic motds in order to join teams (therefore theoretically infringing the policy of truth, by not properly stating in the server browser that this server is not freely available, but has certain requirements)

So yeah, please throw the first stone if you think this development is not abusive. Just letting you know you're being a joke though.