Im trying to create an effect where some of the linked text (enclosing brackets in this case) change color when hovered.

(In reality the brackets will be the same color as the background and will seem to appear on hover as a result of a color change.)

The Link looks like this [Good News] and the brackets should change to red on hover.
<http://localhost/SADD/GoodNews.htm>
I'm trying to use spans around the brackets inside the anchor tag.

The following code works in Firefox but not IE -specifically IE 6.

Thanks in advance for all responses.

Lea Anna

|#menu a {
display:block;
color: #0000ff;
font-weight: bold;
text-decoration: none;
padding-top: 5px;
margin-left: 10px;
}

||#menu ||a:link .menuItemBracket, ||#menu ||a:visited .menuItemBracket {
color:#000000;
}

||#menu ||a:hover .menuItemBracket, ||#menu ||a:active .menuItemBracket {
color:#ff0000;
}