On 22 Jun 2005, at 8:10 pm, martin f krafft wrote:

Mh, I am trying hard to stay away from absolute positioning. It has
a bad taste in my mouth, and I don't think it's supported well
enough either. I'd be happy to be shown wrong. :)

That would be a strong argument against using floats.

Yeah, looks like it. Damn.

But if you look at http://debiansystem.info -- it's all based on
floats. Why does it not work in this one case???

You have a width defined static object to be placed next to a floated object.
There is a 3px jog coming into play,
and all that hasLayout magic, and IE's peculiar float model.
I think it is all in there
<http://www.positioniseverything.net/explorer/threepxtest.html>
I think the float model is explained in an article 'Flowing and Positioning: Two Page Models' linked form the same site. Unfortunately, it is a 'pay to view' thing.

That should explain the IE problem. I'm not sure what's up with Opera.

Firefox, Safari and IE Mac all display your image next to table, the way you expect it.

Have you tried deleting the width declaration from the table ?
(hmm that very long url might still cause problems.)

BTW, the Euro symbol displays incorrectly on all Mac browsers, you might try with the entity instead (&#8364;) - I think it is a problem with the Bitstream fonts. I had problem with other special characters and that font.

Philippe
---
Philippe Wittenbergh
<http://emps.l-c-n.com/>