I have fixed the problem I had with disappearing content (thanks Ingo) but
after several more versions
still can't get the green border under the 'topnavbar' div to stretch so it
goes across to just before the logo.

I guess what I want to say is 'width = 100% minus 140 pixels' and
'margin-left = 30 pixels'.
The css that's operating on it is:

#logosymbol {  position: absolute; right: 50px; top: 48px; width: 88px;
height: 182px;
}
#topnavbar {  position: absolute; top: 177px; margin-left: 30px; height:
48px;
              width: 83%;
              background-image: url("bar.gif"); background-repeat: repeat-x;
              background-position: right bottom;
}
and in the ie6 conditional comment, these are in a 'header' div with 100%
width.

The 83% width works at a screen resolution of 1024 but starts overlapping as
soon as you make the window a bit smaller.

Is it possible to do this at all or should I just give up trying?
The page is at http://www.biotext.com.au/test0205/columns22.html

Thanks
Maren