To: <css-d@lists.css-discuss.org>
Sent: Friday, July 15, 2005 3:42 PM
Subject: Re: [css-d] using of DIVs

Hi,

OK first off I am not trying to start an argument just looking for a
clear concise answer.

I use divs and spans over h1, h2 h3 p etc.  I use them for many
reasons some of which are that they are neutral and generic, they have
no extra bagage, they are a clean slate for styling, I don't have to
worry about any predefined styles that come with that particulat tag
like h1, h2, h3, p, etc...

I don't see anywhere where it says that I should use a heading tag
instead of a div for a heading.  Granted I did not spend hours looking
but I did take a look.

So what is wrong with using divs and spans?  To me they are a far
better container than the others for the reasons stated above.  Just
my 2 cents.

Sean

On 7/14/05, Arlen Walker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Jul 14, 2005, at 6:01 AM, victor NOAGBODJI wrote:

> Hello,
> AFAIK, DIVs are to section a page (maybe I'm wrong, as i'm still a
> beginner). When learning CSS I use to write things like this:
>
> One day, I has been told that this is bad, according to web
> standard accessibility (or something like that) so I was told to do
> this:
> <h1 id="title">My Title</h1>
>
> Now I realise that using the later give me more problems. Because
> when it's a Div you have to set many attributes. Whereas
> h1,h2,h3....predifined tags have different  preset attributes, that
> varies even with browsers.
> What's do you think of this?

Not the best reason to take that approach.

The reason you should use h1 id="title" instead of div id="title" is
semantic. What's in the (X)HTML doc should relate only to the logical
structure of the document and have nothing to do with the
presentation. Therefore you should use h1 if "My Title" is (as it
seems to be) the main headline of the document. Then you attach
whatever CSS you need to that id (or even just to h1, which is the
way I'd prefer to do it).

Have Fun,
Arlen

All constants are variables.