OK OK OK.  I get the point and somewhat see the light... I may see it
fully in a few days/weeks.  I mainly design themes for a CMS.  So I
should probably adapt and use h tags if not for me then for those who
use my themes.  I thank you all for the help and tips.  One reason I
love web design is even when you think you know a fair amount, there
is still always so much more to learn...of course so it is with life
as well.

One quick question that is somewhat off topic so I apologize in
advance.  With a theme that I am working on, I am generating images
out of my headings using php.  I could put the h tag in there and then
define the display as none.  But will a search engine or non visual
device catch this as a heading?  I have written crawlers myself and
mine would have, but it was a simple crawler.  Not sure how the more
advanced ones act.  Or is there a better way of doing it.  Thanks in
advance.

Sean

On 7/15/05, Arlen Walker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Jul 15, 2005, at 3:42 PM, Sean Montgomery wrote:
>
> > So what is wrong with using divs and spans?  To me they are a far
> > better container than the others for the reasons stated above.  Just
> > my 2 cents.
>
> a) There's nothing "wrong" with it per se. To me they're just a
> confusing; they supply no information. It's rather like always using
> "x" for a variable name in a program. It's a question of personal
> style, at least until more than one person gets involved in the project.
>
> b) Questions for you to answer for yourself (I don't care myself what
> your answers are, they're intended as a self-check so you can
> evaluate what you're gaining and losing with your process).
>
> 1) How do you want search engines to treat your pages? Some of them
> assign heavier "weighting" to text inside headers than "ordinary" text.
>
> 2) How do you want your page design to degrade? By using semantic
> tags, page renderers which do not understand CSS properly can still
> attempt to interpret the page and format it.
>
> 3) Will your page ever be "re-purposed" into something else? Proper
> semantic markup can help this because it gives a framework for
> another application to parse the page.
>
> 4) Will your work ever be maintained or analysed by someone other
> than you? If so, good semantic markup can help them understand what
> you're trying to accomplish on the page. It'll make life easier on
> those who come after you or beside you.
>
> Aside from questions like this, there's no real advantage to using
> any HTML at all; You could have divs and spans as the sole HTML tags
> in the body, and do everything with CSS. For myself, though, I've had
> to recode completely too many times. Even if I don't see a future "re-
> purposing" of the site content, I'll go with proper semantic markup,
> Just In Case. But you're free not to. Just don't expect me to wade
> through all the divs and spans trying to figure out what's happening
> and why.
>
> As for the "clean slate" bit, that's easily controlled in the
> original design process. If the first step is to properly apply
> semantic markup to the content, then you'll immediately see what it
> looks like unstyled, and you can move forward from there. At any time
> in the process, you can always comment out the CSS (my favorite
> technique is to rename the CSS file with a "no" in front of it; it
> reminds me that I'm not using it) and review. No muss, no fuss.
>
> My apologies, this post has strayed away from practical CSS into
> design theory. I'll sit down and shut up now.
>
> Have Fun,
> Arlen

All constants are variables.