To: <css-d@lists.css-discuss.org>
Sent: Friday, July 15, 2005 8:23 PM
Subject: Re: [css-d] using of DIVs

OK OK OK.  I get the point and somewhat see the light... I may see it
fully in a few days/weeks.  I mainly design themes for a CMS.  So I
should probably adapt and use h tags if not for me then for those who
use my themes.  I thank you all for the help and tips.  One reason I
love web design is even when you think you know a fair amount, there
is still always so much more to learn...of course so it is with life
as well.

One quick question that is somewhat off topic so I apologize in
advance.  With a theme that I am working on, I am generating images
out of my headings using php.  I could put the h tag in there and then
define the display as none.  But will a search engine or non visual
device catch this as a heading?  I have written crawlers myself and
mine would have, but it was a simple crawler.  Not sure how the more
advanced ones act.  Or is there a better way of doing it.  Thanks in
advance.

Sean

On 7/15/05, Arlen Walker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Jul 15, 2005, at 3:42 PM, Sean Montgomery wrote:

> So what is wrong with using divs and spans?  To me they are a far
> better container than the others for the reasons stated above.  Just
> my 2 cents.

a) There's nothing "wrong" with it per se. To me they're just a
confusing; they supply no information. It's rather like always using
"x" for a variable name in a program. It's a question of personal
style, at least until more than one person gets involved in the project.

b) Questions for you to answer for yourself (I don't care myself what
your answers are, they're intended as a self-check so you can
evaluate what you're gaining and losing with your process).

1) How do you want search engines to treat your pages? Some of them
assign heavier "weighting" to text inside headers than "ordinary" text.

2) How do you want your page design to degrade? By using semantic
tags, page renderers which do not understand CSS properly can still
attempt to interpret the page and format it.

3) Will your page ever be "re-purposed" into something else? Proper
semantic markup can help this because it gives a framework for
another application to parse the page.

4) Will your work ever be maintained or analysed by someone other
than you? If so, good semantic markup can help them understand what
you're trying to accomplish on the page. It'll make life easier on
those who come after you or beside you.

Aside from questions like this, there's no real advantage to using
any HTML at all; You could have divs and spans as the sole HTML tags
in the body, and do everything with CSS. For myself, though, I've had
to recode completely too many times. Even if I don't see a future "re-
purposing" of the site content, I'll go with proper semantic markup,
Just In Case. But you're free not to. Just don't expect me to wade
through all the divs and spans trying to figure out what's happening
and why.

As for the "clean slate" bit, that's easily controlled in the
original design process. If the first step is to properly apply
semantic markup to the content, then you'll immediately see what it
looks like unstyled, and you can move forward from there. At any time
in the process, you can always comment out the CSS (my favorite
technique is to rename the CSS file with a "no" in front of it; it
reminds me that I'm not using it) and review. No muss, no fuss.

My apologies, this post has strayed away from practical CSS into
design theory. I'll sit down and shut up now.

Have Fun,
Arlen

All constants are variables.