Kara Taylor wrote:
> Hi Big John,
>
> On Oct 29, 2005, at 12:06 AM, Big John wrote:
>>> http://coawfl.appriver.com/press-room.asp
>> IE's way of dealing with lists can be incredibly bizarre, but
>> I bet that giving the links the same width as the LI's might
>> solve the problem, altho it also might cause changes in spacing.
>
> Thanks for looking at this.  Adding width to the links didn't change
> the spacing, but it didn't seem to fix the problem - I'm still seeing
> the weird borders on refresh.  Any other thoughts as to why this might
> be happening or how it could be fixed?

Kara, I somewhat managed to "reproduce" the problem locally (after
refreshing the cache a couple of times, reloading, refreshing ... and
opening several instances of IE6). The problem is that we cannot
identify a trigger locally that might cause the bug after several
refreshes only.

The good news is that the color of the 2px dotted border is not
changing, so you could safely ignore this !important on the border color.
The bad news is that the problem affects the space between the border
dots.

I have changed the colors of the logo.gif and the colors and
widths in the CSS for contrast (gray dots, black background).

Screenshot:
   http://www.satzansatz.de/cssd/bizarre/kara5.png

In line 1 and 3 there are colored pixel filling the space between the
gray dots. Note that these are parts of different transparent gifs you
are using on the page. In the first line, there are some green spots,
and the third line there are parts of the logo.gif (to the left) and
from the headline.gif (to the right).

How bizarre. Here, I have used a couple of lines this way to simulate a
"screen":

http://www.satzansatz.de/cssd/bizarre/bizarrebug.html

Screenshot:
   http://www.satzansatz.de/cssd/bizarre/bizarre.png
   (http://www.satzansatz.de/cssd/bizarre/bizarre.jpg)

A list entry with a dotted border-bottom and a transparent
background-gif and padding-bottom seems to be all what is needed to
mirror the video memory between the dots? Is this a variant of the
creeping text bug [1]?

Strange one.

Ingo

--