> The problem with that approach is you're sacrificing control
> over your markup with proper seperation of functionality and
> design.

Yes, but...

> If you wanted to make a change to the layout of the
> content, you'd have to do a recompile to make the changes,
> which is exactly what you want to avoid.

...in my case, that's not a big deal. On large teams where markup
designers are separate from the back-end developers, I can see that
being a problem (though, ideally, those folks are never truly
seperated).

> Now your conviction for perfect XHTML has caused you to
> develop horrible code behind.

Not horrible, just not ideal. In the end, the end user doesn't care
about the code behind.

> The datagrid should only ever be used when you actually want
> to display tabular data, in which case it becomes
> semantically correct.

Except that there is no support for semantic accessibility tags and
attributes like THs, Scope, Header, etc.

> Every other instance in which you'd
> want programmatic repetition (such as dynamic menus, or
> lists) the repeater control will work just fine and as stated
> before allows 100% control over your actual markup.

Yea, I mentioned the repeater control. Those can work nicely. They can
take more work to implement properly. I *know* I should use more
repeaters, but often find stringBuilders quicker to implement. Besides,
even with the repeaters, I'm adding so many function calls to format
individual strings that it's still a mix of HTML and codebehind. At the
end of the day, while I strive for perfect back end coding, I know that
it really doesn't matter in the long run. As long as it is easy to
understand for those that maintain it, and works, it's sometimes better
to pump it out and get on to the next item rather than spend a lot of
time tweaking it. Logically, tweaking it (and building things like
custom controls) would allow for scalability in the future and easier
maintenance, but I've found, over time, that It's more likely that it
will be completely rebuilt anyways when that time comes.

All IMHO, of course.

-Darrel