Thomas wrote:

>http://neodude.net/host/cssd/fxselectbug.html

It looks like Donna's bug, but it seems different in practice since
it definitely affects the mac version of FF1 as well. Plus, there's
no scope for working round the problem - even shifting the excessive
padding and margin on to generated content inside the block provides
no relief.

>I don't see a reasonable fix possible unless someone can "inspire"
>Mozilla to put it at the top of their buglist. The more I look at the
>technique, though, the more it seems like spacers revisited with a
>modern twist... and I'm concerned about 32,000 of territory being part
>of the DOM. Perhaps the envelope is being pushed a bit over the edge
>(and into a 32,000px abyss)?

1. It's already fixed in Firefox 1.5.

You may find the fact that it's broken in FF1.0 (and indeed as far
back as Mozilla 1.6 - as for Moz 1.5, it won't even display the page
content at all), a death knell for the fauxless equal height
technique. On the other hand, I would argue that it has helped shake
out a number of mistakes in the Gecko engine.

2. Really, Al. In what way, is a total separation of presentation and
display and content code, like spacer gifs? And in what way is the
faux columns technique less like spacers?

Actually Al, let's have that discussion off list. As I've already
said to you, write a critique of all or ant of the techniques and,
unless there's some amazingly good reason not to, I'll add it to the
article.

3. The article makes clear that the 32XXX figure shows the absolute
limit you can push things to since beyond it, things will definitely
go wrong. There's no reason to use such a large figure if you don't
have to (which will be most of  the time) Not that that changes
anything really.  Presumably you also take issue with absolutely
positioning items and then setting their left value to -largenumber
px.

As for the 32XXXpx being part of the DOM - what do you mean? If
things are implemented properly in the browser, the overflow: hidden
on the containing box should make the browser behave as if there was
literally nothing beyond its bottom edge.

There *are* a couple of thorny problems that have arisen, one a
printing problem in IE and the other relating to the use of anchors
within an equal height columns layout - though as I am incredibly
flu-ridden and don't have access to a full range of browsers to even
confirm the problems let alone distill them to the point where I can
pass them on the good folks of css-d to help out.

Finally, just to stress this again, the "One True Layout" name is a
gag. And if it refers to anything at all it is none of the techniques
I illustrate, but rather the ability to stick to the task of
designing a pure and semantically meaningful document structure.
Style that resulting structure any way you like. Throughout the
article I make it clear that in many instances pre-existing
techniques will do just as well if not better than the ones I use
there and even mention that javascript (unobtrusive of course) could
be used instead if that is your preference.

In the case of faux columns v fauxless columns...

If you have a fixed-width pixel-based layout and are already using
background images, using faux columns is probably a better bet since
you can just combine them into one graphic.  For percentage and
em-based layouts (and liquid center, fixed sides) it probably holds
true too, though that depends on how many columns you need and how
many wrapping elements you're prepared to swallow. Let's face it,
it's highly unlikely that we're talking about more than three which
means you only need one additional wrapper. You could probably even
claim it had some genuine semantic purpose ;)

So to repeat the big take home message - there is no excuse to kludge
your document structure. Lay your content out logically and
accessibly. Otherwise I'm coming to get you. Alright?