ron,

On Dec 19, 2005, at 11:05 PM, ron zisman wrote:

> posted earlier with url missing extension...sorry
>
> trying to contain #content (red border) within #outer (blue border).
> http://www.ricochet.org/flippingpixels/movies/movie.index.html

The validator is your friend.  It found your problem when I couldn't
see it.

change     <dv id="content">  to     <div id="content">

Floated elements are removed from the page 'flow'.  Because this is
true, #content has no content.

Remove the height from #outer, it will only frustrate you later.  You
could float #outer also and get the 'enclosing' behavior you seek, but
then it wouldn't be centered anymore.  Once the typo noted above is
fixed, your clearer will work fine for clearing #outer, but #content
will still collapse to nothing because all elements inside it are
floated.  As an aside, I'd make it a class instead of an id.

hth
Roger,

Roger Roelofs
"Remember, if you’re headed in the wrong direction,
        God allows U-turns!"
          ~Allison Gappa Bottke