> It seems you want a solution for content of unknown width, right?

This correct. I want a FLUID fluid layout, and for the wide content to
'hold/push open' the center col (or maybe even all cols now that i
think about it).

> If you know beforehand you're gonna have a 2000px wide image in
> it, just set the min-width of the page large enough.

as above, min-width wont do it

> Otherwise I'd say that the only way really is a
> <cough>table</cough> or scrollbars on the center column.
> (assuming overflow:hidden isn't an option ;-) )

most of the layouts i tried break, from a little to a lot, when
changing the overflow. Even if i could do that, the center col is the
primary content col, and i dont want users to have to scroll.

As for 'cough cough'...i dont want to, as I've brainwashed myself into
thinking 'theres a better way to do layout...CSS!!!'. With tables, i'd
have had this working roughly when the berlin wall came down.

thanks for your suggestions though :)