>Okay, what would be a good maximum width measurement (in pixels)?

Some may disagree with this, but I try to aim at using WebTV's (MSN TV)
browser's usable screen area as a max measurement: 544 for the width (I
haven't succeeded with all my pages yet). As we all know, it is hard,
really, to declare a max, as people can have their desktop taskbars
horizontal or vertical, regular height(width) or double or greater; their
browser have sidebars, they have several toolbars, or have their toolbars
set to have large icons with text beneath the icons; and of course can have
the browser set at some size other than full window; etc, etc, that even on
a 1280 x 1024 screen still can have problems with a Web page designed for
800 x 600.

TTFN,
David

--