Paul Novitski wrote:
> Every browser comes with a default stylesheet; these differ slightly
> from one browser to the next.  Many people "zero out" many of these
> default styles, making it easier to get the same predictable effects
> cross-browser.  A very simple example would be:
>
>          *
>          {
>                  margin: 0;
>                  padding: 0;
>          }
>
> In other words, remove all default margins & padding from all
> elements on the page.  If you do this, you'll then have the
> responsibility for adding margins & padding back to those elements
> from which you expect it, such as Hn & P tags.  Some web developers
> find this a nuisance; I find it an agreeable and necessary part of
> deliberate styling.

I'm one of those who finds it a nuisance that results in more CSS not
less. :-) But even if you do choose to use it, do *not* use the
universal selector. This is far too aggressive and results in buttons no
longer acting like buttons, for instance. Read more here:
http://kurafire.net/log/archive/2005/07/26/starting-css-revisited

I would suggest only zeroing out what you really need to zero out, which
includes list margin and padding.

Zoe

--
Zoe M. Gillenwater