I'll pop in on this one.

I've only been doing CSS for about 4 or 5 years now - I still consider
myself a "newbie" on the stuff, but judging from the amount of work I
get from clients who want their site's tables swapped out, I guess I
know more than a lot of others do.  (I don't think I know much, but oh
well!)

You said that you're getting your statistics on IE5 from places online,
like w3schools.  That's great, but here's the real question: what are
*your* stats?  Stats are great for generalities, but if *your* audience
primarily uses IE 5 (or IE4, for that matter) then you should be
designing for your audience, and screw the "general statistics".

That being said, I do design for IE5.  *Including* IE 5.2 on the Mac.
Why? Because my clients want me to - their audiences still actually use
these browsers, so I code CSS for browsers that old.  That's just the
way it is for me.  It'd be nice if it weren't, but it is.

As for the CSS part - I'll just say (and I may get yelled at for saying
this, I don't know!) I don't use hacks.  Unless you consider IE's
"conditional comments" a hack.  I don't.  I've found that coding for a
standards-compatible browser FIRST is a great way to go, and then I use
a few lines of code within a conditional comment to "fix" the IE issues.

Occasionally, I'll need a hack for IE 5.2 - but most times, I do not,
because my clients understand it's limitations, and they are forgiving
on that browser.  (I'm thinking they can't wait for it to die off with
their audiences, as well!)

But typically, that's what I do.  Design for *your* audience, and use
conditional comments.

~Shelly