sorry if this is posted twice......

Hi again,

This began as "[css-d] Table squirting out of DIV" but Zoe helped me
fix that so I thought I'd start a new thread for some of my other
questions.

        Below is a url for reference....the original page I'm working on is
secured and isn't accessible to the public.  I tried to include as
much information as possible for anyone feeling kind enough to help.
I am using http://blog.html.it/layoutgala/LayoutGala24.html as a
starting point for reference.

http://rollandburn.com/index.html

Thanks!

Hi everyone, thank-you Zoe for the suggestion to use display: table-
cell to sort out my squir......ahem, overflow problems. Unfortunately
this nullifies the margins I have applied to the div that are
necessary for layout.  Applying padding to compensate won't work in
this situation because of background colour issues.

This is starting to give me a cramp.  I didn't realize how much
stress is involved with trying to wrap your head around every nuance
of css, browser differences, accessibility, usability, appearance,
and code efficiency all at the same time. Talk about overwhelming.
I'm not going to revert to using tables and I don't know why.

=]

rollandburn wrote:
 > I wonder if someone could slap me with some knowledge and tell if
 > there is a way to keep a table from squirting

Eww... please use the word "overflow," as that's the CSS term for it and
way less gross than the word "squirt." I shiver just thinking about
it... :-)

 > outside its containing
 > div when the browser window is resized smaller. Or, How do you get a
 > div to only shrink to the size of its contents (upon window resize)
 > and not further?

Set it to display: table-cell, which makes it act like a table cell in
that it will expand to fit its contents. IE doesn't understand this, but
IE expands to fit anyway (not sure about IE7, though, which still will
not support the table display values).

You can also simulate expanding to fit by messing with negative margins.
I've written a few articles on this over at CMX:
http://www.communitymx.com/abstract.cfm?cid=B0029

Zoe

--
Zoe M. Gillenwater