Well, I've almost got it figured out... Safari is now behaving the same
as FF and Opera

I've been trying to create a menu system where the active selection is
highlighted - but highlighted using conditional CSS, rather than
inserting a .selected class into the HTML (i.e. the HTML for the
navigation menu is identical for every page).

The CSS has got a lot more complicated that I had anticipated. And it's
still not perfect (I've lost the hover effect (underline) on the lower
level links).

Here it is:

http://www.richardnicholson.com/testing/menu/editorial.html

And the CSS:

http://www.richardnicholson.com/testing/menu/menu.css

I'm interested to know whether it works in IE 5 and IE 6 PC (I guess
not!)

It's a bit of a mess in Mac IE 5.2.3 (sub menus overlap with main
menus). I think the problem is with the CSS that structures the menu
(rather than the conditional CSS the controls the menu's highlighting).

Any idea of how to fix it?

Thanks

Richard