I have a Web page whose content is sometimes wider than the browser
window, necessitating a horizontal scrollbar. Several elements fairly
high up the DOM tree have horizontally repeating background images.
The problem is, when the content is wider than the window these
background images still stop at the right edge of the window - and
thus don't aren't present on the right side of the page when you
scroll the page horizontally. The only element I've had any luck with
in terms of fixing this is a table cell, but I hate to replace a
single div with a one-cell table if there's an alternative. Any ideas?

Thanks,
--Dave